Tuesday, April 9, 2013

WWH/CJE Soapbox: Compromise THIS!



I never cease to be slightly gob-smacked and agog at the suggestions that "we" really CAN "get along" with the conservotards, and that we SHOULD. 

A correspondent today was extolling the virtues of a recent book, "The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion", by Jonathan Haidt. She claims it provided her with insights into why Prez LowBar has been so gutless when it came to "pro/lib" causes: He's "reaching out." 

She claims "the rest of us need to learn how and why this is being done, re-craft some of our goals and messages, and aim for a more unified society."

But I GOTTA ASK: Unified with whom? With what? Rand Paul? Paul Ryan? Rick Santorum? Newt Gingrich? Mitt Rmoney? To just whom, exactly, should we be "reconciled?

I haven't read the book. Probably won't, since I'm not much of a "book reader" anymore.

BUT I have the same question for all the folks who plead piteously about 'just getting along' with our antagonists: Just wanna know WHAT a "good liberal" or a "progressive" will be willing to compromise in order to "heal" such divisions?
Reproductive choice for women? Birth control?
Universal, single payer health care?
Regulation of climate-threatening industries?
Civil rights for minorities?
Clean air/water?
Prayer/creationism in schools?
Well? Where's the compromise? Where do you START?

You tell me! Look at their (the 'tards) demands.

Tell me to which you'd agree, in the name of "unity?"

I'm with the Dixie Chicks (if they're still there): I am NOT ready to make nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment